Google has recently been telling everyone that page speed is an increasingly important aspect of Web sites. The Google Speed site has been featured in several posts on their Webmaster blog. It features links to various free tools that they, and others, have made available for the public.
So if you suspect that you may have page load issues, where do you begin? Where should you go to get an overall idea of your site performance?
The first place that you can start is in your Google Webmaster Tools account. Log in, click on Labs, then Site Performance. There, you’ll see site performance data based on feedback from their crawlers.
Another source is Yahoo YSlow. YSlow analyzes web pages and suggests ways to improve their performance based on a set of rules for high performance web pages. YSlow is a Firefox add-on integrated with the Firebug web development tool. YSlow grades web page based on one of three predefined rulesets or a user-defined ruleset. It offers suggestions for improving the page’s performance, summarizes the page’s components, displays statistics about the page, and provides tools for performance analysis, including Smush.it™ and JSLint.
Some other speed tools listed on the Google site are;
Web page analysis
AOL Page Test – Open source tool for measuring and analyzing web page performance using Internet Explorer.
BrowserMob – Tool for website performance monitoring and alerting.
IBM Page Detailer – Graphical tool that assesses web page performance and provides details include the timing, size, and identity of each item in a page.
IntroSpectrum – Web-based performance monitor which simulates users using actual web browsers.
Microsoft VRTA – Tool that visualizes web page download, identifies areas for performance improvements, and recommends solutions.
MySpace Performance Tracker – Internet Explorer browser plugin that helps improve web page performance by capturing and measuring possible bottlenecks.
WebPagetest – Tool that provides a waterfall of your page load performance as well as a comparison against an optimization checklist.
With these tools you can generate a list of performance enhancements for your website.
- Counting patents: Apple, Google, HTC – Apple 2.0 – Fortune …
- Buzz + Latitude = A Minefield for Google – GigaOM
- Google in China: Conflicting Reports on Talks With Chinese …
- FP Tech Desk: Welcome to Google Island – FP Posted
- Asus Eee PC 1005PR product page goes live (HD display)
- Matt Mazur » Six Months of HackerNews Front Page Data
- Facebook Fan Page Analysis: The iPad (x3) | Rapleaf
- adidas Sport Performance X-Series 2010 Spring/Summer Collection …
- Congressman Compares Lack of Radio Performance Tax to Slavery
- Nexus One vs iPhone 3GS 3D Performance Comparison
- Yet Another Media Aggregation Site? Yup. And You'll Read It …
- VMware Launches a Lab Site and Shares Interesting New Tools …
- Web Site With Yahoo Small Business | 9DOWNSOFT Free Download …
- Antigone Launches Feminist Social Networking Site on International …
- Hey, that tax Web site sounds familiar – Capitol Confidential …
- Mediagazer, A New Techmeme Aggregation Site Focusing on Media News
- LiveReviews.com Launches Innovative Adult Review Site – Press Release
- Lean Left » Blog Archive » Speed Kills
- Colorado, Italy: Speed Camera Operators Caught Disregarding Law …
- Kate Gosselin Is A Speed Demon! | PerezHilton.com
Here are some interesting sites that you might want to browse.
BBC News - The Devil Inside tops US box office
Business-to-Business Marketing: Information from Answers.com
Web Marketing: B2B to buzzword from Answers.com
Tags: Browser Plugin, Firebug, Google, Google Web, Google Webmaster Tools, Graphical Tool, Internet Explorer Browser, Open Source Tool, Page Performance, Page Speed, Page Test, Performance Improvements, Performance Tracker, Speed Site, Speed Tools, Various Free Tools, Vrta, Web Development Tool, Web Page Analysis, Yslow
Category : Internet Marketing